GLASS STONES

The brothers Jan and Václav Fišers from Turnov. Their alleged voyage to Venice, five years of efforts to seize the local secret of secrecy, return to Turnov, dozens of wasted attempts and then - finally success! In 1711 they made the first glass for the production of artificial stones.

THE GLASSHOUSE IN NOVÝ SVĚT

It was in 1712, when Elias Müller built his glassworks on the estate of the Harrach Counts in Jilemnice. It continued in the traditional production of glass, which was produced on the border of the Giant Mountains and the Jizera Mountains in the middle of the 14th century. Even today, you can see not only metallurgical production and blowing glass, but also a hundred-year-old grinding shop. It is driven by a water turbine and transmissions used to distribute the driving force.

ELIAS PALME

Elias Palme, one of the most famous luminaire manufacturers, continued the tradition of chandeliers in Kamenický Šenov. Industrial production of chandeliers was started in 1724 by Josef Palme in Prácheň.

THE ELDORADO OF CUT BEADS

Surely you would not find in the whole Principle and in the broad surroundings of a person who would say a crooked word about Jan Šourek. After all, it was as if he had come to the Principle of Prosperity and Welfare. As soon as he took possession of the reeve, life in the village began to turn for the better. He was one of the first to venture into the world for business.

JOSEF RIEDEL

Josef Riedel, king of the Jizera Mountains glassmakers, was born in Hejnice in 1816. He was the representative of the sixth generation of the glass family and imprinted his footprint indelibly on the slopes of the Jizera Mountains.

FRIEDRICH EGERMANN

JOSEF PFEIFFER

Josef Pfeiffer - Jablonec entrepreneur and mayor, who was involved in the development of jewelery exports. Everything is confirmed at the imperial court and in 1866 Jablonec became a town during his reign.

BLOWN BEAD and its way to the tree

People can make sense of time and numbers, but not us, beads. However, I have heard that they have been blowing me in the mountains for more than a hundred years. As a bead would put it, that is a long time. You, who have never seen how a bead is born, you don´t know how beautiful life can be....

MELTED GLASS SCULPTURE

In 1920 the first Czech glass school was founded in Železný Brod, thanks to which the town became a center of glass art.

Mapa

Lusatian Mountains (Lužické hory)

Giant Mountains (Krkonoše)

Jizera Mountains (Jizerské hory)

Bohemian Paradise (Český ráj)

Glass Museum Nový Bor

Address

nám. Míru 105, Nový Bor, 473 01

Phone

+420 478 726 196

E-mail

muzeum@novy-bor.cz

Opening hours

 

Tuesday - Sunday 9:00 - 17:00

The Association of Glass Workers was responsible for the establishment of the Musem in Nový Bor. The museum was opened in May of 1893 thanks to the support of local councillors, who vacated space for the exhibition. Although the city provided extra room for the presentation of expanding museum collection, a satisfactory solution was not made until 1952. The museum was relocated to house no. 105 where it still is. A two-storey late baroque building with a high mansard roof and a fancy entrance portal is a typical building of Nový Bor. It was built in 1804 by Johann Christoph Socher, glass businessman, who had sold glass in Mexico for thirteen years.
The permanent museum exposition presents stylish and technological development of Czech glass, especially Nový Bor, from the 18th century to the present. It is divided according to different techniques of glass processing into painted, engraved, blown and cut glass. The exposition is supplemented by historical objects from glass workshops.
In addition to the permanent exhibition, the museum organizes short-term exhibitions on various topics. There are historical and technological exhibitions, as well as the monographic exhibitions of glass artists. The museum is also one of the organizers of IGS – International Glass Symposium, a triennial that has taken place since 1982 in Nový Bor. In 1994, the museum renewed the tradition of the competition between glass artists, glassmakers and students. This competition takes place every three years and is called “Craft and Art Glass in Nový Bor”.

The Glass Museum in Nový Bor belongs amongst the oldest glass museums in the world. The permanent exhibition is not traditionally arranged but according to the technologies of the processing – into the exposition of engraved, cut, painted and blown glass. Visitors can find here also models of glass workshops. Unique is especially the collection of painted Art Nouveau glass, which is the largest of its kind in the world!