The first mention of Smržovka dates back to 1586. The whole area was administered by the lords of Smiřice, during the reign of Ferdinand II part of the estate was confiscated and given to the Duke of Frýdlant. During his reign, the village boomed and became the centre of the textile and glass industry. The traditional production of jewellery and metallurgical glass has been preserved until today.
The Smržovka axis is formed by the Smržovský brook. It lies in the recreational area of the Jizera Mountains and is a centre of summer and winter tourism. A marked Smržovka sightseeing circuit and a dense network of marked hiking trails lead through the town and its surroundings, taking tourists to the entire Jizera Mountains.
Among the tourist destinations are: the Černá studnice lookout tower, the Finkstein lookout, the sledge track, the natural sledge track, the Filip ski lift, the Museum of Local History, the Museum of Armoured Technology, the Museum of Dolls, the railway viaduct, the Plate Nativity Scene, the Peter Urban Stations of the Cross and the Church of St. Michael the Archangel.